Drive into the grounds of Cloughjordan House and drive into a little bit of Irish paradise. This 400 year old country house situated a few moments drive from the
B&B is closed for winter months except for cookery course weekends
Main House Rooms
Cloughjordan House provides a first class offering in the Good Food Ireland Culinary Accommodation bracket. The proportions of this elegant building make for a very comfortable stay. Eight acres of land provide quiet places to stroll. Morning coffee or afternoon tea on the lawn is pure delight. Bedrooms in the main house have heaps of period features, but facilities are up to the minute modern. The large separate bathroom dedicated to one of the double rooms has a sauna and walk in wet room.
Other rooms are ensuite – with equally spacious bath and shower rooms. Two rooms above the Cloughjordan Cookery School also on site here are built into the eaves – these are neatly proportioned and full of charm from the sloping ceilings and country décor. Outside, country garden deck chairs and loungers are positioned to catch the sun when it shines. Happy hens have their own run on the lawns here and lay gorgeous eggs as a result. The couple keep a herd of free range pigs which make superlative sausages and bacon for the breakfast menu when they are mature enough.
Over the past year we have been delighted to launch our newly converted ‘Cowshed’ and ‘Milking Shed’ rooms in our farmyard. These allow us to accommodate 54+ guests onsite.
The rooms, named after their former inhabitants (Daisy, Buttercup, Bluebell!) are finished with natural wood from the grounds, and even a few remnants from the old dairy farm, to create a rustic charm!
Food at Cloughjordan House
Breakfast is taken in the Cookery School dining room where we offer a delightful array of buffet breakfast options ranging from freshly squeezed orange juice, home made bread and Award winning Cloughjordan Wood Fired Bakery bread, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, smoothies and muffins. This can be followed by a hearty cooked breakfast using our in-house sausages, bacon and eggs.
As with all of our food at Cloughjordan House as much of it as possible is picked from our walled garden and polytunnels, so it’s fresh and in-season.
For cookery courses or group dinners, vegetables are picked from the house’s walled garden. At dinner time, Peter easily slips into the role of host – he’s a natural who loves filling his home with guests who really appreciate its age and character - and the good food ethos which drives the couple.
We had a really wonderful time at Cloighjordan House. The accommodation was extremely comfortable and clean. Breakfast was outstanding in both quality and quantity. Both Sarah and Peter were most welcoming and the house/grounds are beautiful and very relaxing.As for the cookery lesson and lunch, we were very impressed. Thoroughly enjoyed the class, lots of great tips and the meal was just delicious! And then the lovely surprise at the end of our bags of Glenisk products and some jam and chutney that we had made on the day.
As you can tell I have nothing but compliments for Cloughjordan House and I will definitely be recommending them to friends and family.Thank you so much for this wonderful prize, we truly had a lovely time.
Liz Halliday Oct 2014
We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Cloughjordan House, it's a beautiful place and very well kept. Breakfast was very good, the recommendation from Peter to eat at The Fairways was well received, the menu is extensive and the food excellent. The cookery class was great, Colleen is lovely and a fab baker! All in all we had a lovely time from start to finish. No recommendations at all - maybe a sign by the horse to day the wire Is electrified, haha - my Mother was wide awake after our stroll up there!
Thanks again to all at Cloughjordan House and Glenisk for our lovely goodies pack going home! Niamh Foy July '14
- "The balance of Sarah’s professional food knowledge and Peter’s full on enthusiasm as host and events organiser is well struck. Between them, the couple make this piece of paradise a charming place to stay and enjoy a gourmet break which highlights the best ingredients Ireland has to offer. We are very much looking forward to visiting again and we think when you go there, you’ll be in a hurry to return too."
Diane Curtin, Inspector, Good food Ireland
- “What a wonderful stay in Cloughjordan House! We were warmly welcomed by Baker's family. The hospitality was absolutely perfect. We had some very interesting discussions with Peter who explained to us the history of his very old house. We appreciated a very good cook with food from the organic garden. But above all, if you want to understand how start a good day: try Peter's porridge: it is fantastic. Thank you very much for your sense of welcome!”
Charles T, France
- "There are three things, in my opinion, that make a Bed & Breakfast worth leaving your own home for. There’s the bed aspect – are the pillows fluffy, is the bed marshmallowey, does the house have character? Then there’s the breakfast part – it’s almost laughable how many Bed & Breakfasts get this so horribly wrong. Finally, there’s the unspoken hospitality part – do you feel at home? Do you feel relaxed, rejuvinated and welcome?For me, their B&B has got it all. The comfort, the food and the hospitality."
Aoife McElwain- icanhascook
- "Cornelia, John, Jennifer and I are all back in Canada now. We are agreed that our stay in Cloughjordan House along with the cooking lesson was one of the highlights of the whole trip. Thank you again for running me out to the Modreeny cemetery to confirm the location and to snap a few pictures. I expect to be preparing a write-up on "Our Irish Heritage" for my relatives sometime this summer. Again, thanks for a wonderful time in Cloughjordan."
D. Bradley, Canada
- We had the most amazing time in Cloughjordan from when we arrived until we left. We learned so much during the cooking class and have since made the yummy treats at home. The breakfast was so good and a nice way to start the day. We slept so well in the room and felt very at home. The place is a gem. Thanks so much to all at Glenisk and Cloughjordan.
Mary Hennessy June 2014